In our first podcast Jim explores the role of leadership and well-being with Julia Steward, author of Sustaining Resilience in Leadership, and a leadership coach and facilitator for school leaders for over 20 years. In the conversation they reflect on the current situation and the additional pressures placed on school leaders alongside practical tips and advice on self-management. The guidance also includes the roles of governors and trustees.
01:32 Julia, what is your perspective on the current situation and the pressures school leaders are under?
07:40 What lessons can we learn from 'sustaining resilience for leadership' that can be applied now?
14:10 What would be your top 3 tips for school leaders, where might leaders turn for advice and support?
19:20 What would be your advice for those school leaders feeling fear due to the pandemic and responsibilities for people's health?
24:53 What advice would you give school governors and trustees and their duty of care role in supporting schools right now?
Links referred to in the podcast:
1. SusanDavid: https://www.ted.com/talks/susan_david_how_to_be_your_best_self_in_times_of_crisis?utm_source=recommendation&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=explore&utm_term=newest-talks-5
3. Self-compassion - Kristin Neff: https://self-compassion.org/
4. Brene Brown on leadership: https://daretolead.brenebrown.com/
5. SW CPD Portal: https://www.cpdportal-sw.org/
6. Fear-setting exercise by Tim Ferris. Ted talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J6jAC6XxAI&t=10s
7. Julia's blog on sleep: https://www.chrysalisleadershipdevelopment.com/2016/01/teacher5aday-the-missing-ingredient/
8. Julia's website: https://www.chrysalisleadershipdevelopment.com/
Julia can be found on Twitter @chrysalisleader and Jim on @jimrogers72