Whole School SEND CPD Event
Quality First teaching – Meeting the Needs of Children and Young People with SEND
2 March 2020
South West Regional leads for Whole School SEND are pleased to invite members of
the Community of Practice to attend this free CPD event, featuring guest speakers Chris Moyse and Marc Rowland
This free training is open only to members of the Whole School SEND Community of
Practice. Not a member yet? Sign up now at
The training day will lead delegates through the process of leading a Pupil Premium Review in a school through a series of interactive and practical sessions based on a range of case studies.
The day will be structured around the Teaching School Council publication, ‘Effective pupil premium reviews’ and will be enhanced through the use of a wide range of other materials and resources.
The programme for the day will include:
- Understanding of disadvantage and pupil premium
- The national picture on the impact of the PPG
- Evidence and research on disadvantage and the use of the PPG
- Clarity on the time line of a PP Review
- Analysing the PP statement on a school website for compliance
- What documents a school should make available
- What analysis a reviewer should undertake prior to being in the school
- Planning an effective day in a school – who to meet and protocols
- Questions to ask
- Recording the evidence and documents to use
- Giving initial feedback
- Writing the PP Review Report
- The school action plan for PPG
- Follow up from the report
- Suggested reading
(Please note if you cancel your place within 10 working days of the event, your organisation will still be charged for this event)
National Leaders of Governance Masterclasses – delivered by the Confederation of School Trusts (CST)
As the sector body for school trusts, CST is working to prepare and deliver masterclasses for National Leaders of Governance working with School Trusts. CST is undertaking this work as part of their core charitable purpose to build sector capacity and advance education for public benefit. This masterclass is being offered FREE to all National Leaders of Governance who hold the Local Leaders of Governance in School Trusts Boards in the South West region.
The masterclasses will cover:
• The core proposition of Trust governance – and how it is different from maintained school governance (duties under company law and charity law, employer responsibilities, fiduciary and regulatory regimes, risk, and structures of governance including the principle of significant separation). The session will refer to both the Academies Financial Handbook and core DfE material but it will also make reference to the body of literature on effective governance from outside the sector, for example the FRC Guidance on Board Effectiveness and Corporate Governance Code.
• Common / persistent problems that Trust’s experience and the core domain-specific knowledge NLGs need to support trusts to address these problems and secure effective governance.
• CST’s Improvement Capacity Framework for Trust Governance which is based on the Competency Framework for Governance and is carefully designed to align with the MAT capacity framework (school improvement) which was developed by the RSC office in the South West.
Leaders of Governance CPD
This session will cover:
- The SW School Improvement Offer and;
- A guest training session from the Education Endowment Foundation around training governors to understand the key points covered in this document.
A hot meal provided in the evening.